Regional cuisines have unique characteristics mainly because of the locality of ingredients and the way that they are used in each dish. In Italian cooking, for instance, there are certain spezie or spices that make Italian food taste distinctively Italian. While these spices aren’t necessarily unique to the country, their use in Italian cuisine is what sets them apart and gives Italian cooking and every other Italian restaurant in Kleinburg its distinct flavor.
- Basil – Perhaps the main herb used in Italian cooking, Basil’s fresh, light and bright flavor complements many Italian staples ranging from cheese and tomatoes to other condiments like balsamic vinegar.
- Rosemary –This herb is widely used in traditional Italian dishes, particularly when roasting meats. It also adds a peppery-floral flavor to stock.
- Oregano – Oregano is a pungent and spicy herb that’s best used when dried, which is when its flavors are strongest. You will find this distinct flavor in many Sicilian and southern Italian dishes.
- Parsley – Commonly used for garnishing dishes, parsley also adds excellent flavor to sauces and soups, thanks to its spicy elements.
- Thyme – Thyme is another great roasting herb, best used with meats and vegetables for its minty and lemony natural flavor.
- Sage – Popular around the world, sage is also a great complement to Italian cooking, especially when it comes to pasta dishes, because of its warm fragrance.
- Marjoram – A close relative to oregano, marjoram has a milder more floral and woodsy flavor, which makes it great for adding to salad dressings, sauces, and marinades.
- Bay leaves – Bay leaves are widely used in Italian cuisine for flavoring all kinds of dishes, particularly those that feature stocks, soups, and stews. They are also commonly found in pickled vegetables and braised meats.
- Hot peppers – Italian cooking is also not complete without hot chili peppers, which add both heat, color, and distinct flavor to Italian dishes.
- Anise – When it comes to dessert, Italians like using anise to flavor different kinds of pastries and baked goods.
For your Italian food cravings, there is Castello Ristorante—the best place for casual and fine dining in Vaughan. It’s perfect for those who are looking for a nice place to host celebrations and special occasions or simply try out good Italian food catering in Vaughan.